Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Gospel - Good News in Perilous Times

In the Garden of Eden mankind was separated from God by the sin of Adam & Eve.  A Holy God can’t stand to be in the presence of sin so that caused a wedge between mankind and God.  God told Adam that he could freely eat of any tree in the garden with the exception of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  That tree he told him not to eat of because if he did he would surely die. How is it that we are always drawn to do those things that are deadly to us yet we are willing to take our chances? We have a conflict of two natures within us. 
Paul said it best in Roman chapter 7 verses (14 – 25)  For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.  For I do not understand my own actions. (Have you had one of those days where you just didn’t even understand your own self and why you did what you did?) For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.  For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.  For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.  Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.  So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.  For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.”
Sin separated us from God but Jesus was our bridge over the troubled waters of sin.  Jesus came forth from Mary’s womb to Glorify God, edify mankind, and to horrify and terrify the Devil.  Jesus, the immaculate Lamb of God came to take away the sin of the world. 
He came through 42 generation. Before time began, Christ existed with His Heavenly Father. He was born in Bethlehem, hidden in Egypt, raised in Nazareth, baptized in the Jordan, and tempted in the wilderness. He lived on this sin cursed earth some 33 ½ years for the sole purpose preparing a way of escape from Hell for us.  In His presence the blind saw, the lame walked, the dumb talked, the diseased were healed, and demoniacs were set free.  
During His final days upon the earth He agonized in the Garden of Gethsemane over His coming death.  He took His closest friends deeper into the Garden of Gethsemane with Him just to pray on His behalf.  But when the rubber really meets the road it boils down to nobody but you and God.   Jesus went deeper into the garden and cried our “Father if it be thy will let this cup pass from me.”  Jesus knew what His Father wanted Him to do but the thought of the suffering and pain He would soon endure was too heavy a burden to carry.  He returned to see if His 3 closest friends were interceding for Him but realized they had fallen asleep on the job.  Don’t let the Lord catch you sleeping at such a critical time in your life.  You better wake up so you can be ready.    Jesus prayed until His sweat dripped down like great drops of blood.  In His obedience to the will of His Father He ended by saying "not my will but thou will be done." 
Soon after His surrender to the will of His Father, He was kissed with the kiss of death by Judas Iscariot.  He was tried and although they could not find any fault in Him the crowd shouted crucify Him, crucify Him!  He was whipped and beaten all night long until His body was not recognizable. Then, Jesus Christ took our sins on the weight of His shoulders to Calvary. It wasn’t the weight of the cross that was unbearable but it was your sin and my sin that weighed him down. 
They placed a crown of thorns upon His head.  Why his head?  So you and I could lose Adam’s mind and have the mind of Christ. They stretched His arms wide and nailed Jesus to and old rugged cross and hung him between two thieves.   One of those thieves mocked him but the other realized who Jesus was and asked forgiveness for His sin.  Jesus had to put the brakes on death to receive one who was willing to surrender all.   They mocked Him, spit upon Him, and He simply asked His Father to forgive them for they know not what they do.  Finally He cried out Eli, Eli, lama Sabachthani? Being interpreted My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me.  When He cried out , “It is finished!” and the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to bottom, and the earth did quake and the rocks were split in pieces, and dead believers were raised?
Finally, He hung His head in the locks of His shoulders and died for the entire world.  He was buried in Joseph’s new tomb and on schedule rose out of the grave on the third day with all power in His hand.  His name is Jesus and right now He’s sitting on the right hand of God interceding for you and I.  He’s giving you and I the opportunity to know that we will be ready when Jesus comes.   We used to sing a song when I was growing up that said Sign me up for the Christian Jubilee.  Write my name on the roll.  I’ve been changed since the Lord has lifted me I want to be ready when Jesus comes.  Well today you can move from wanting to be to being secure in knowing that you will be ready when Jesus comes.  All you have to do is sincerely ask Jesus to come into your heart and to take over ownership of your mind, body, and spirit and live a life of holiness and obedience to God.  If you do this with a sincere heart when He comes back you will be ready to be promoted from this life on earth to our eternal home in that pearly gated community on Heaven’s Boulevard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment