Monday, July 2, 2012

The Things That God Hates

Proverbs 6:16-19 MESSAGE BIBLE "Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion: eyes that are arrogant, a tongue that lies, hands that murder the innocent, a heart that hatches evil plots, feet that race down a wicked track, a mouth that lies under oath, a troublemaker in the family." This week I'd like to focus on each of these issues. I really strive to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord. Therefore it is important to me to make sure that anything that is not pleasing to Him is not displayed in my life. As I look deeper into each of these things that God hates I welcome you to look with me and to share the thoughts God illuminates to your understanding. Iron sharpens iron so I welcome your wisdom. The first thing listed in this proverb that God hates is "eyes that are arrogant." The KJV calls it a "proud look." The ESV calls it "haughty eyes." Many times we look outside ourselves to find our dislikes. I have come to understand that God's Word is first my own mirror. It is this mirror of the Word that helps me to become a better Christian, sister, wife and friend. So as we look deeply into ourselves we must not be in denial. Denial keeps us bound. God's Word will set us free from ourselves if we allow God to let us see ourselves as He sees us. As we study God's Word today I am not focusing on whether you have arrogant eyes but rather myself. I must be very sure that Yolanda is not in denial and habors a sin that God hates. Let's open in prayer. Good morning Father. I come to you this morning seeking your wisdom and embracing your love. God I need your understanding this morning concerning the sin of arrogant eyes that you hate. Please illuminate your desires to my heart Lord and I will embrace them in my life. In Jesus name I pray....Amen. Selfish Pride is the foundation of haughtiness, conceitedness, and a proud look. There are seven things that God hates, and pride is at the foundation, because it is at the bottom of much sin. Eyes that are arrogant, a proud look, and haughty eyes can all be defined as pride. The Bible repeatedly warns us against pride and arrogance. Pride causes us to rely on our own ability and strength rather than trusting God. The center of the word P R I D E is the letter I. When I become the center of all my thoughts I have just gotten out of alignment with the will of God. Pride is sin and sin is not pleasing to God. God desires that His children are humble. Pride can be defined as "excessive confidence or glorification in one's self or possessions." Pride is the opposite of Godly humility. It inevitably leads to disregard, disrespect and disobedience to God. After all self-centered pride is primarily what transformed the once-righteous Lucifer into the wicked Satan after he became too impressed with himself: "I will make myself like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:14 RSV). "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18 RSV). Selfish pride is sin: "Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate." (Proverbs 8:13 RSV) "For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride" (Psalm 59:12 RSV) "For the wicked boasts of the desires of his heart, and the man greedy for gain curses and renounces The Lord. In the pride of his countenance the wicked does not seek Him" (Psalm 10:3-4 RSV) "When pride comes, then comes disgrace; but with the humble is wisdom." (Proverbs 11:2 RSV) God will humble those who don't humble themselves: "And if in spite of this you will not hearken to me, then I will chastise you again sevenfold for your sins, and I will break the pride of your power, and I will make your heavens like iron and your earth like brass; and your strength shall be spent in vain, for your land shall not yield its increase, and the trees of the land shall not yield their fruit. Then if you walk contrary to me, and will not hearken to me, I will bring more plagues upon you, sevenfold as many as your sins." (Leviticus 26:18-21 RSV) "The haughty looks of man shall be brought low, and the pride of men shall be humbled; and The Lord alone will be exalted in that day." (Isaiah 2:11 RSV) "A man's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor" (Proverbs 29:23 RSV). Jesus lived a life of humility. I am reminded of the sacrifice that Jesus made at Calvary for us even while we were sinners He died for us. Jesus is our model. He lived a holy and righteous life that we may follow his lead. If we find that selfish pride is an issue for us we must repent of this sin and ask God to forgive us. He is willing and just to forgive us of our sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment