Thursday, July 28, 2011

Humble Yourself

Scripture: 2 Chronicles 7:14 (King James Version)

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

To be humble means to be in a state of surrendered submission. When we humble ourselves, we are literally saying to God, you are in control of my life.  Matthew 18:4 (King James Version) says, “Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” 

        Sometimes we just need to look back and see where God has brought us from.  There is a song that says, “He brought me out of darkness into His marvelous light, look where He brought me from.”  God is holy and He hates sin.  The Bible says even at my best I’m just a filthy rag so I can’t get high and mighty and think I’m something because if it had not been for the mercy of God I still would be in a hot mess.  God says His people must humble themselves. 

        To be humble means to be brought low. Before God we are to be clay in the hands the "Master Potter."  When we humble ourselves before God we are allowing God to mold and shape us to His will.  When God molds us:

1.) We are open to His guidance (Psalm 25:9)
2.) We know His grace (Proverbs 3:34)
3.) We have a gentle heart (Matthew 11:29)

Thus we become pliable not to our own will but to the will of God. 

1 comment: